Clinical Supervision, Consultation, and Training for Mental Health Professionals
Some patients are easier to work with than others, who may be more challenging. Consultation and supervision is available individually or in small groups. In-service training is available for mental health facilities, school and college staff. When necessary, telephone consultation can be arranged. Call to discuss your needs.
Sharon Farber taught week-long summer seminars on Self-Harm (Eating Problems, Self-Mutilation), Pain, and Trauma for four years at the Cape Cod Institute. She is often invited to present to other mental health professionals here and abroad on bodily self-harm and other topics.
Past professional engagement
An integrative approach to eating disorders,
- Two-day course on Self-Harm, Dalhousie University School of Social Work, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Self-Harm and Eating Disorders Courses for Clinicians. Mental Health Association of Westchester.
- Hospital Grand Rounds: Schneider Children’s Hospital, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry (Bronx), Four Winds Hospital—Katonah, Four Winds Hospital—Saratoga Springs, Montefiore Medical Center.
- In-service training for support staff at Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, and Irvington school systems, Cornwall Central Middle School, Student Assistance Services, Ardsley.
- Eating Disorders, Self-Mutilation, Body Modifications and Other Self-Harm. Twelve Session course, Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, February-June 2002.
- Eating Disorders mini-elective. NYU School of Social Work at Sarah Lawrence, Bronxville, NY
Presentations on self-harm
- Trauma and Memory: An International Research Conference, University of New Hampshire International Conference on Eating Disorders
- International Conference on Eating Disorders, New York, NY
- Pelham Guidance Council, Pelham, NY
- Jewish Family Service of MetroWest, Florham Park, NJ,
- Training Institute for Mental Health, NYC
- Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, Westchester Group Psychotherapy Society
- National Association of Social Workers, New York City Chapter;.
- The Renfrew Center, New York
- The Renfrew Center, Philadelphia;
- William Alanson White Institute
- Center for Preventive Psychiatry, White Plains, NY
- Masterson Institute Alumnae Association
- NY State Society of Clinical Social Workers Annual Conference
- The Parents’ Foundation for Transitional Living, New Haven, CT
- Counseling Center, Iona College, New Rochelle, NY
- Counseling Center, Phelps Hospital Center, Tarrytown, N.Y.
- Family Service of Westchester, State University of New York, Purchase, NY
- Kingsbridge Heights Community Center Adolescent Sexual Abuse program, Bronx, N.Y.
- Sarah Lawrence College Counseling Center
- Joan Greenstone Memorial Lecture, Institute for Clinical Social Work, and Loyola School of Social Work., Chicago
- New Hampshire Chapter of American Psychological Association, Concord, NH
- Westchester Center for the Study of Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy, Rye, NY
- Children and Young People Who Deliberately Hurt Their Bodies, Starve Themselves or Want to be Dead. Child Mental Health Center, London
- All-day presentation for mental health professionals, sponsored by Mental Health Association, Westchester County, NY, Crowne Plaza Hotel, White Plains, NY
- National Membership Committee on Psychoanalysis in Clinical Social Work Annual Conference. New York
- NJ Chapter of National Association of Social Workers, Bergen Family Institute., Tenafly, NJ
- Ecstatic Stigmatics and Holy Anorexics, Medieval and Contemporary. International Psychohistorical Association Convention
- New Jersey Society of New York School for Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis Annual Spring Conference
- Children’s Village, Dobbs Ferry, NY
- Psychoanalytic Practitioners of Long Island
- International Society for the Study of Psychosis, NYC Chapter; NY State Society of Clinical Social Workers Staten Island Chapter Annual Conference
- Bleuler Psychotherapy Center, Forest Hills, NY
- Psychosomatic Study Group, American Psychoanalytic Association Convention, Philadelphia
- The Renfrew Center Annual Conference, Philadelphia
- Riverdale Psychotherapy Study Group, Riverdale, NY
- Cortland Medical Addiction Services Professional Education Series
- Barnard College Counseling Center Staff, Women and Self-Harm: A Psychoanalytic Understanding of the Relationship Between Binge-Purging and Self-Mutilating Behavior. (findings of dissertation research ). National Clinical Conference of the Committee on Psychoanalysis in Clinical Social Work
- Society for Clinical Social Work, Westchester Chapter
- N.Y. State Mental Health Association Conference,
- Voices in Action International Conference for sexual abuse survivors and therapists
- SUNY-Purchase Counseling Center Staff; Society of the New York School for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- Stamford Alcohol and Drug Abuse Consortium
- Hudson Valley Association of Alcoholism Counselors
- Westchester/Hudson Division program of New York School for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy;
- Westchester Task Force on Eating Disorders of the American Anorexia/Bulimia Association